Cant Access Main Page

ChrisLyndon

I am unable to access the main mousebits homepage, and also not able to upload torrents. I tried deleting my cookies and it did not resolve the issue. Does anyone know what could be wrong... I have a new torrent I wish to upload.

What happens when you try and access it?
Blank page, error code etc?
Did you clear caches as well?
Reboot the PC?
Try another browser?
Log out and then log in again?

If you leave it to try and load, do you get a "busy script" message? may take a while to come up.
I had this a lot on my old XP PC (it was the flash add on the index page stopping it loading). I used flashblocker with firefox (sorry, I know the site needs the ads).

Chris can access the Forum pages which also have Flash ad banners, but only at the top.  The Index/Main page also has a Flash ad banner in the right-hand sidebar.  It's possible the extra Flash ads on the Main page are pushing Chris' browser/PC over the edge but it seems unlikely.

It did push mine too far.
I also was fine on the forums but the index page kept freezing. I know it was that as flashblocker fixed it and I had no more trouble (I confirmed by switching it off and the freezing came back followed by the "a script is causing...." message).
It was just a thought. I agree unlikely as he's bound to have a decent PC considering the work he's done (I'd still be downloading it on my old PC)  :D
This has happened to others with various causes. The index page and the forums, I believe have different access points or whatever, but I don't recall all of the possible solutions (ooh, maybe I should read through this forum).
Did that and this was the last one
http://www.mousebits.com/smf/index.php?topic=5896.0
That needed the offline content deleted as it was keeping a blank page and trying to load it from memory.

no message appears - the mousebits icon appears on my http bar at the top of my firefox page - but it just has a blank screen and nothing loads. Usually when a page is loading, there is a little circle thingy that goes round and round, sort of like the hour glass thing used to do on my older computer, but when I try to load Mousebits, even that circle thing is not appearing. So it seems like the page is not even trying to load.

Have you cleared all offline content?
That was the cause of the last time this happened.
The PC had stored a dud page and was trying to load it each time. Clearing all the offline content cleared it and it reloaded the page from the site instead of memory.
Which browser are you using?

My browser is fire fox. I will clear all my stored content, but it is sort of a pain because I have so many websites that I use stored in my memory. Of course I have also been having issues with Youtube since I was closed down, so perhaps it is better if I start loading sites from scratch anyway, so I wont have to log in and out 3 times in order to access youtube with my remaining account.

When you're on the MouseBits main page, try holding down the Shift key and clicking the Refresh button to force Firefox to update its cache of that page.  That'll be quicker than deleting the entire cache.

did not work - I will wait till Monday to do this. I want to be able to share my new torrent without interruption, and there is a good chance I will be loosing power today or tomorrow because I am right in the path of Hurricane Irene. So By Monday I should be able to post it without worry. Stay tuned. I also need to wipe out my browsing memory and need to write down all my passwords etc first before I do. I also have a new Sci Fi Dine in Theater torrent to post, with many improvements I made to the sound quality of the original.

Do things one at a time.
As a thought, can you load this page:
http://www.mousebits.com/index.php?page=upload
The cache you need to clear, not the history etc .
Go to tools-options-privacy.
There are two buttons - clear recent history and clear cookies.
Click on the clear history button . This brings up a drop down with the choices you want to clear - from the last hour to everything.
Select everything (don't worry, it doesn't do anything yet).
CLICK ON THE DETAILS + sign
uncheck everything bar cache
Then click the button with the tick that says "clear now".
It shouldn't clear the pass words  as they are not held in the cache but, in case, under the security tab for Firefox options-tools-security , there is a list of your saved passwords and an option to show the passwords. Take a screen shot of the list and save it - just in case.  ;)

Back