Compress large MP3 file onto a music CD-R

bryan29

Can you compress a 289mb MP3 file to fit onto a music CD-R to listen to inside your car or something else? I think it is a 10 hour mp3. If you can what program should I use for that. Thanks for your help. 

10 hours? What on earth is it, an entire day's trip to Disneyland as one long recording? :p
I kid, I kid ...

Most CD-Rs will hold up to 800MB of data, but that's data as opposed to CD audio, which a CD-R can take up to ~78 minutes of (it's big :eek: ). You'd probably have the most luck splitting the track across multiple discs unless you have a CD player that supports MP3 discs (it should say on the body of the device usually), which will have the data stored as actual MP3 files and thus be able to hold many times more data.

It is in theory possible to compress 10 hours of audio into a CD format for a disc ... but not without completely destroying its quality (quality of audio is directly proportional to disc space occupied usually), and even then I'm not certain that it'd all fit. :p As I said, splitting it across several discs sounds like a better idea if you really want it on CD.

Many cars that are only a few years old will play MP3 files off of CDs.  Even really cheap cars today do that.  If your car does, then just write the MP3 file to a CD.

Ya to get it on 1 cd you'd have to keep it in a compressed format and play it on a player that accepts data cds with mp3 files on them(or wma or whatever the player accepts). Audio cds, as the standard is defined, will only play audio at 1400ish kbps uncompressed PCM audio, which only goes up to like 80 minutes on a cd, and if you feed anything else on a disc into a player that only plays audio cds it won't work.

I do this with most of my files - burn as mp3s to play in the car (and also as a backup). Only have to take a few CDs with me then to play ours of stuff ;D
Another thought is to buy a cheap mp3 player if your car player has a connection for one (many do - mine has a jack plug socket which connects to the earphone socket) and play them on that. Again, not much to carry around and a 1gig player is really cheap and a 2 or 3 gig player will hold an awful lot of mp3s ;).
I don't think car players will play DVDs but most DVD players will play audio DVDs and there's a fair bit of room on one.
I can play them by plugging my portable DVD player into my car stereo (as above).
Plenty of options depending on just what you want and what suits best.

Back